The loop of Les Albères "The great course"
3 points of interest
Castle of Montesquieu
Feudal castle built by the lords of Sant Cristau, who then took the name of Montesquieu, dates back to 1080. The central dungeon houses the former home of the lord which was later backed a vaulted room which was the subject of a restoration. The enclosure wall to protect the whole measures nearly 12 meters high. A breathtaking view awaits you!read more
Church of Saint André
Romanesque church classified as a historic monument, it was the church abbey of a Benedictine monastery in medieval times. Built between 10th and 12th centuries, it houses magnificent marble sculptures from the 11th and 12th centuries, notably a lintel in sculpted marble from the 11th century - akin to that of St Genis des Fontaines - which marks the 1st Romanesque sculpture in Roussillon! Guided tours offered in season by La Maison d'art roman”,read more
Maison de l’art roman de Saint André
This interpretation center is dedicated to the old Romanesque abbey of Saint-André (current parish church). It allows the discovery of Romanesque art in a fun and interactive way. You can admire copies of medieval sculptures preserved on the site or scattered in other places in the department. The permanent exhibition presents the history and pre-Romanesque and Romanesque architecture of the former Benedictine abbey of Saint-André. It places them in their context in Cataloniaread more
- Leaving the town hall car park, go to the right and follow the black signs. You join Laroque-des-Albères.
- Take advantage of a stop to go up in the old village, to the belvedere of the castle. Take your road towards Saint-Genis-des-Fontaines then Villelongue-dels-Monts. Be careful between Villelongue and Montesquieu, you will cross a ford which can be closed after the floods.
- In Montesquieu-des-Albères, you pass the museum. Leaving Montesquieu, you join the cycle path, turn right towards Argelès.
- Leaving the cycle path take a left on a small road which passes to the right of an agricultural school. You will reach the Lac de Villelongue. Take a break in this wild environment.
- Continue your journey to reach Palau-del-Vidre. Be careful, you will cross the D2 where traffic is fast and dense. You now pass near "La chapelle de Cabanes" which you can visit on certain days.
- You then arrive at Palau-del-Vidre where you can discover the treasures of the church.
- Now go to Saint André. You will once again take the cycle path towards Boulou. At the Saint André school level, you can cross a ford which can be closed following floods.
- In Saint André, the glassmakers work before your eyes. To reach them, follow the direction of Argelès in the village. You now continue your route to Sorède, your starting point. Do not forget to visit, here, the Valley of the turtles on the heights of the village.
Departure : Car park of Sorède city hall
Arrival : Car park of Sorède city hall
Towns crossed : SOREDE, LAROQUE DES ALBERES, ST GENIS DES FONTAINES, VILLELONGUE DELS MONTS, MONTESQUIEU DES ALBERES, PALAU DEL VIDRE, ST ANDRE, ARGELES SUR MER